While working in Salesforce, we need to deal with data almost every day. Loading or extracting data is an important pre-requisite for almost all production deployment/Go-Live activity. Do you know the there are many different data loaders available today? This post will cover some of the most popular data loaders with their advantages and disadvantages.
Data Import Wizard
- User friendly.
- Can load a maximum of 50,000 records at a time. In a real-world scenario, this can be a problem as the number of records can be in the range of millions.
Salesforce Data Loader
- You can load 5,000,000 records. Much higher compared to Data Import Wizard.
- Quicker, powerful application.
- Need to install in your machine. It is not a cloud application.
It is a 100% cloud-based data loader application that you can access through your browser. It was developed by Mulesoft, but with the Salesforce’s Mulesoft acquisition, this tool now became a member of the Salesforce family. This application can everything that Salesforce Data Loader can do and then on top of that comes with some great advanced features.
- Cloud bases simple, but advanced user experience.
- You can schedule tasks
- It can find parent records based on text, not an ID.
- After import, you can download the result, which will bring the Salesforce IDs for the newly created records.
- Not found anything yet.
- Easy to install from AppExchange.
- User Friendly.
- I faced some problems while loading picklist values with this app. The good part is that it gives you an error message, which will help you to solve the mapping/configuration.
XL-Connector (formerly Enabler4Excel)
- You can get data from Salesforce right in your Excel.
- Fetch report data right in your Excel.
- Performs DML operations on small to medium size datasets.
- “Analyze Layouts” helps you to analyze metadata and page layouts in your org.
- “Field Utilization” provides the usage reports of the fields.
- Not all features are free. You need to pay $10 per month, but with this small price, the power you will get is tremendous. Once you first register, you will get 30 days of the trial period to explore the product.
In your last paragraph you're asking for other data loaders. Disclaimer: I am the founder of the following tool, which currently is in beta: https://smartupload.net.
I would be very interested in your opinion, whether it can compete with the tools you described in your blog. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sure Johannes. I will be more than happy to explore the new tool that you are building. Do you mind dropping me email @ firstname.lastname@example.org? Thanks for reaching out,