With process automation, we now have multiple solutions available which we can use to implement the requirements. The solutions that we have are –
- Lightning Process Builder
- Visual Workflow
- Complexity of Approval process is very simple. It can support only one if/then statement.
- It doesn’t support time-based approval process i.e. trigger the approval after 24 hours or something like that. It is a complete real-time solution.
- Approval process can’t call Apex code or delete any records.
- But Approval process can create only Tasks (nothing else).
- Approval Process can update the same record or it’s parent.
- Workflow rule works when the record is created or when the record’s value is changed.
- It supports time-based action i.e. workflow rule action can trigger after 24 hours since the value of the record changed to meet the criteria.
- Complexity is again very simple i.e. single if/then statement.
- It can create only task record.
- It can’t delete any records.
- It can send outbound message without code. [This is very important factor to choose Workflow over Process Builder]
- It can’t invoke approval process.
- It can update the same record or it’s parent record. It can’t update child record. [This is a limitation of Workflow and Process Builder can handle this limitation]
With Visual Workflow, developer can call apex, create/update/delete records, post to chatter, send emails, submit for approval. It supports time-based action as well. The only limitation with Visual workflow is that it can’t send outbound messages without any code.
Process Builder ::
Process Builder is really a powerful automation tool. With Process Builder, developer can easily automate business process using graphical representation. It comes with two parts –
- Criteria which will decide when the Process Builder will kick off.
- Immediate or Scheduled actions which will happen when the Criteria will meet.
- With Process Builder, you can create records, but you can’t delete any records.
- You can update any related records (be it with Parent or be it with Child).
- You can submit for approval as well.
- You can’t send outbound messages without code.
- You can launch a flow – auto launched flow.
Such a great post Sudipta. Explained the concepts so clearly. Thanks for sharing the knowledge here.
Best of luck mate.
Nice comparative article, haven't seen analysis like this.
Even though Salesforce may be retiring Process Builder in favor of Flow, nowhere on their site does it really explain the differences in detail…so thanks kindly! 🌷
Thank you. I will be publishing a new post with all the recent changes soon.