Solution Process is a very important concept introduces by Salesforce. Solution Process is used to control the steps the user should follow for solution review. I believe to understand Solution Process in a better way, we should proceed with use cases. But before we jump into the use case, we need to understand the record types in Solution. Record Type plays a very important role in Solution Process. Record Types allows to identify what the picklist values should be available to the user and what page layout a user should see.
Ok let’s start with the Use case below –
Use Case –
We have in the organisation named “XYZ Corporation” two types of Solutions – Functional Solution and Technical Solution. Below are the requirements –
Functional Solutions –
- All Functional Solution should go through the below status values –
- Reviewed by Functional Lead
- Reviewed by Functional Head
Technical Solutions –
- All Technical Solution should go through the below status values –
- Reviewed by Technical Lead
- Create a custom field names “Solution Status”
to include the possible values as per the requirement. Below is the screenshot –
- Create the Solution Process by –
- Click on Setup | Customize | Solutions | Solution Processes
- Click on New Button.
- Enter Solution Process name as “XYZ Solution Review Process” and add description as “This is the Solution Review Process for the XYZ Corporation”.
- Click on Save Button.
- Here choose the values. These are the possible values a User can choose during Solution Process. Choose Draft as the default value. Then click on Save Button.
- Now create the Record Types –
- Click on Setup | Customize | Solutions | Record Types
- Click on New Button.
- Make Record Type Label as “Functional Solution”. Record Type Name will be automatically get selected.
- Choose “XYZ Solution Review Process” in Solution Process.
- Write “Functional Solution record type” in the description.
- Make sure Active checkbox is on and for the simplicity choose Enable for all profiles.
- In the next page, choose the page layout. (Important – This is the step, where you can assign different layout to different record types also).
- Click on Save button.
- Repeat the same for “Technical Solution” record type also.
- Finally it should look like –
- Now choose the allowed Solution Status for Functional Solution by-
- Click on the Function Solution Record Type.
- Click Edit next to Solution Status field which will appear under Picklist available for Editing section.
- Choose only allowed picklist values as per the use case as shown below –
- Select Draft as the default value and click on Save Button.
- Repeat the same for “Technical Solution” as well.
So we are done. Now let’s check –
- If we click on the New button for creating a new Solution, we are asked to choose the type of solution as below –
- Now if we choose Functional Solution, then available Solution Status is also as per the Use Case as shown below –
- And if we choose Technical Solution, then available Solution Status is also as per the Use Case as shown below –